From: Scarberry, Mark
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 5:24 PM
To: 'Discussion list for con law professors'
Subject: Indefinite stay of panel decision in recall case?

I sent the following analysis (based on Fed. R. App. Proc. 41) to a
reporter. I think it's correct but would be happy to hear any disagreement.

*******************
I thought I'd mention something that I haven't seen anyone raise, in case
you think it's worth reporting on. The September 16 order entered by the
Ninth Circuit (inviting briefs on the question whether to grant rehearing en
banc) included the following sentence:

"Issuance of the mandate will be stayed pending further order of this
Court."

I believe the mandate has to be issued for the 3 judge panel's decision to
go into effect. As a result, the September 16 order (apparently entered by
Judge Thomas, the court's en banc coordinator) amounts to an indefinite stay
of the effectiveness of the panel's decision. If the full court votes not to
rehear the case en banc, then Judge Thomas presumably will order that the
mandate be issued immediately. If that were to happen, then the panel's
order would go into effect immediately, if the 7 day stay had expired by
then, or at the end of the 7 days if it hadn't yet expired. (Then the Sec.
of State or the recall proponents could ask the U.S. Supreme Court to stay
the effectiveness of the panel's decision while they filed petitions for
cert. in the Supreme Court.) But until Judge Thomas (or another appropriate
judge or group of judges) enters a further order, the panel's decision
cannot go into effect, no matter how many days have passed.

Ordinarily the mandate is supposed to be issued 7 days after a panel's
decision, but the panel can order that the 7 day period be extended or
shortened, and the Ninth Circuit often extends it. In this case the panel
shortened the period, ordering that the mandate be issued immediately, but
then provided that its order prohibiting the holding of the election on Oct.
7 would be stayed for 7 days. (See the very end of the panel's decision.)

My guess is that the 3 judge panel did that so that its mandate would not be
subject to being automatically stayed by the filing of a petition for
rehearing en banc. Ordinarily a party can prevent issuance of the mandate
for at least a short time by filing a petition for rehearing or a petition
for rehearing en banc. But here because the panel had provided that its
mandate would be issued immediately, it doesn't seem that the filing of a
petition for rehearing or rehearing en banc would have had any effect on the
mandate (that chicken would already have flown the coop); the panel's order
would have gone into effect after 7 days even if someone filed a petition
for rehearing en banc. I think Judge Thomas's September 16 order in effect
retroactively prevents the mandate from being issued until further order of
the court. (We might say that Judge Thomas had in effect "recalled" the
mandate. Believe it or not, that's the term that's used when a mandate has
issued and the court decides to undo the issuance of the mandate: we say
that the court has recalled its mandate.)

I hope this is helpful. By the way, my specialties are bankruptcy law and
constitutional law (especially church-state law), not the law of appellate
procedure. But I think I've got this one right. I'll probably run this by
some other law professors, and I'll let you know if they disagree.
Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law