SSP:  in the soon-to-appear Virginia Law Review symposium on Marbury, I
argue that Marshall's interpretive views in Gibbons are much like Ronald
Dworkin's, not Scalia's.

Marshall makes an argument about the meaning of "strict construction"
almost identical to the one Dworkin makes two centuries later in
"Constitutional Cases."  And Marshall's claim that the framers "must be
understood to have employed words in their natural sense, and to have
intended what they have said" is very close (if not identical) to some
of Dworkin's key claims in "Freedom's Law."

Scalia, by contrast, ties meaning to contemporary practices in a way
that Marshall did not do.  His original essay in A Matter of
Interpretation is ambiguous about that point, but it emerges clearly in
his reply to Dworkin and in his jurisprudence (an excellent treatment
and critique of this feature of Scalia's jurisprudence is Mark Greenberg
and Harry Litman, The Meaning of Original Meaning, 86 Geo. L. J. 569
(1998)).

--Chris

--
Christopher L. Eisgruber
Director, Program in Law and Public Affairs