From: Scarberry, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 3:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Viewpoint Discrimination and Bush Protesters

A lot of parks are more than a quarter of a mile across. Suppose the President's staff announced that he would be speaking in a particular city but did not specify a location-perhaps for security reasons. The city then set up different places (parks across a street from each other) for pro- and anti-Bush demonstrations. President Bush then appeared at or near the location selected for the pro-Bush demonstrators, and as far away as possible from the location of the anti-Bush demonstrators. That could easily be more than a quarter of a mile away. Does anyone want to argue that in so doing the President would have violated the First Amendment? Or that the city would then have to change the permitted locations or allow anti-Bush protesters onto the pro-Bush site?

[Bryan Wildenthal]

I think the answer to the latter question is almost surely YES.

  Is the question whether the anti-Bush demonstrators are entitled to use the publicity attracted by the President's appearance to advance their message? Or maybe we could ask whether it is permissible for the President to appear at what is essentially a closed meeting in what would otherwise be a public forum (a park or town square)?

[Bryan Wildenthal]

Answer to the latter:  almost surely NO.  Unless we are to suppose that U.S. Presidents have some sort of royal prerogative to appear in public fora "cleansed" of protesters.  I had thought that notion went out with the original "King George."  Apparently US Attorney Strom Thurmond Jr thinks otherwise.  Perhaps that's what we get by treating US Attorney positions as hereditary boons to the children of loyal servants of His Majesty.

 I'd assume that when he appears at the Republican convention next year, anti-Bush protesters may legitimately be excluded from the building - but can a park be closed to those who quietly and nondisruptively show disagreement with a group that is holding an event at the park?

[Bryan Wildenthal]

I'm hoping that Mark's answer to his rhetorical question, like mine, would be NO.   And I don't even think they need to be "quiet."  Physically non-"disruptive," OK, I'll give Mark that.

I reserve a small local park (or a part of it) for my daughter's birthday party (under a first come first served signup policy). Does the First Amendment prohibit the city from allowing me to exclude persons from the park (or from the reserved part of it) who want to picket (carrying signs saying "Down with law professors and their children!")?

[Bryan Wildenthal]

Unfortunately, yes.  I think that is the price one would pay for choosing to use a traditional public forum for the event.  Incidentally, Mark may have intended this as an amusing but unrealistic hypo, but actually this kind of thing happens in the real world.  Gay people and their families frequently have been forced to put up with very serious instances of this kind of political protest.  Anti-gay religious groups like Kansas minister Fred Phelps have frequently picketed and protested at same-sex marriage and commitment ceremonies, funerals of known gay people (such as Matthew Shepard), and even at christening ceremonies for the infant adopted children of gay couples in at least two cases I have heard of, in Kentucky and New Jersey.  The protesters typically stake out public sidewalks or parks adjacent to where the events are being held and hold charming signs saying things like "God Hates Fags" and "Burn in Hell, Matthew."  So gay people are quite familiar with the First Amendment costs of those who would argue "Down with gay people and their children!"  And as a gay First Amendment fanatic, I would defend the right of such protesters to express such sentiments in traditional public fora.

My tentative view is that a political rally is a little like the parade in Hurley; if my group obtains the right to use the venue (under content and viewpoint neutral time place and manner regulations), then we can exclude persons who wish to put forward a contrary message.

[Bryan Wildenthal]

Weeellllll, I would agree with Mark in the sense of "exclude" them from the identifiable march or rally itself -- but not exclude them from the entire public forum or vicinity, unless it is simply unfeasible to accommodate more than one group simultaneously.  Hurley involved a march on a public street, where it seems "one group at a time" may be dictated by feasibility.  But if one group wants to hold a rally or a march in a park, I think the First Amendment provides a very high level of protection toward any group that wants to hold a competing "counter-rally/march" nearby.

  If that is right, then are Presidential appearances different, as a constitutional matter, from political rallies? My intuition is that they should be treated differently, and that citizens should have the right to attend and to protest (quietly and nondisruptively), assuming the event is not held out as being a political rally. The President represents the government - in a sense he is the executive branch of the government - and perhaps the right to assemble and petition for redress of grievances gives protesters the right to attend the event, if the event is otherwise open to the public and if the President is speaking as President, not as party leader.

[Bryan Wildenthal]

For reasons suggested above, I don't see why this distinction matters -- and I think the very idea of such a distinction is troubling to First Amendment principles -- and I think the distinction cannot realistically be applied.  I think the President -- and any politician or political figure -- must accept the price of protesters regardless of whether he claims he is appearing in a political or governmental capacity, so long as the appearance is in a forum subject to the usual First Amendment rules.  Who could possibly separate those capacities?  Presidents mix and blend the two roles past the point of any reasonable ability to distinguish, except in an utterly subjective and arguable sense that people would never find consensus on.