I realized that I never answered Prof. Eastman's question as to what was MY
view.  I just stated the law and some opinions from others.  My view
regarding the RUDs for the ICCPR is the following:  If the reservations are
invalid  (i.e., illegal), the reserved treaty provisions are still legally
binding on the U.S. -- even as interpreted by the UN Human Rights Committee
because by the time that the U.S. ratified the ICCPR, the ICCPR's rights
provisions had already emerged as customary international legal obligations
for the U.S.  It was too late for the U.S. to object to these obligations.

Another reason is that an illegal act (i.e., invalid reservations) cannot
vitiate the ICCPR's status as U.S. treaty law.  To use an analogy . . . .
If Congress passes an amended bill in which one of its amendments is later
found to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, this finding of
unconstitutionality does not void the consent of those members of Congress
that voted for the amended bill, and the remaining constitutional
provisions of the legislation remain federal law.

Francisco Forrest Martin

Switzerland