People laughed at me when I opined that if Scwarzenegger won, there'd be a
movement to amend the Constitution;s requirement that the President be a
"natural born citizen" .  Today's paper reported Sen. Hatch "plans
hearings."
  Shouldn't Sen. Hatch pragmatically wait to see how Ahnold does, first?
("Frist 100 days" is a ridiculous measure, but go with that at least. . .)
Is this just Republican crowing over the results?  Would such an amendment
really have any chance of adoption?
Lynne

Prof. Lynne Henderson
Boyd School of Law--UNLV

This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/09/MN255674.DTL

Thursday, October 9, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
Outsiders agog at pick of voters/Utah senator wants amendment to let
foreign-born be president
Carolyn Lochhead, Chronicle Washington Bureau

   Washington -- <snip>   National and international reaction to his
election victory was perhaps
best captured by the governor-elect himself. "Can you believe it?"
Schwarzenegger said. "Only in America."
<snip>
   Only in California, some Washington cynics added, although Republican
Party operatives are already plotting the movie star's potential on the
national political stage.
   Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, plans hearings on a constitutional amendment to
make it possible for a foreigner who has been a citizen at least 20 years
to be elected president. Schwarzenegger became a citizen in 1984.
<snip>
    E-mail Carolyn Lochhead at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle