Dual citizenship wouldn't preclude you from being US Pres if you are a
native born US citizen, of course, but if you acquired it through your
parents and were born elsewhere I think it might be a problem. It may
depend on where you were born (on US territory abroad or not).  Can someone
born in Puerto Rico be Pres? What about someone born in American Samoa or
Guam?

 But see
http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/judiciary/hju67306.000/hju67306_0.HTM

" Over 30 years ago a legal scholar, Charles Gordon, addressed the question
of whether people born overseas to United States citizens could be called
''natural born'' citizens and hence be eligible to be President. After
reviewing the legal history of the clause and subsequent legislation,
Gordon answers this question in the affirmative. However, he also points
out that the Supreme Court has never ruled on the issue and that ''that the
picture is clouded by elements of doubt.'' This analysis leads him to the
following conclusion:

 "It is unfortunate that doubts remain on an issue of such vital importance
to many Americans. We live in a fluid and ever diminishing world. The
interests of our nation and its people are constantly expanding and
millions of Americans reside for short or long periods in foreign
countries. They are there in pursuit of inspiration, enlightenment, profit,
pleasure, repose or escape. All of these have a right to retain their
status as American citizens while they live abroad. One can perceive no
sound reason for shutting off aspiration to the Presidency for the children
born to them while they are temporarily sojourning in foreign countries."

And remember the controversy when George Romney ran for PResident--he had
been born in New Mexico or Arizona or somewhere, before it became a state,
and the question was, was he a native born US citizen for purposes of
qualifying for the Presidency? There also might be some ugly comments about
someone's true loyalty if s/he became President and had dual citizenship. I
know I've heard them just as a plain old non-Presidential-worthy US citizen
with dual citizenship. My parents, who were naturalized, and very proud of
that,  heard such comments for years.

Christine Corcos
Associate Professor of Law
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University
Associate Professor, Women's and Gender Studies Program
LSU A&M
W325 Law Building
1 East Campus Drive
Baton Rouge LA 70803
tel:  225/578-8327
fax: 225/578-3677
home page: faculty.law.lsu.edu/ccorcos
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      msellers
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      ALT.EDU>                    cc:      (bcc: Christine A
Corcos/ccorcos/LSU)
                      Sent by: Discussion         Subject: Utah senator wants
amendment to let foreign-born be president
                      list for con law
                      professors
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      v.ucla.edu>

                      10/10/2003 01:40 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Discussion list for
                      con law professors

Many Americans are now dual citizens with other countries.  What relevance
does this have to our discussion?

>===== Original Message From Discussion list for con law professors
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>A few weeks ago, my eight-year-old daughter Katie invited one of her
closest
>friends to stay overnight, you know, a typical second-grade sleep-over.
As
>we were talking before bed, my daughter and I were bantering about how
I've
>often said that I expect her to grow up and become President, perhaps the
>first woman President (if, as I think doubtful, that day still has yet to
>arrive in another 30 years).  Her friend immediately interjected that
Katie