FWIW, there may be some hope here.  See attached...

Karl

--- Begin Message ---
William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
On 2/24/2010 4:24 PM, Karl Wright wrote:
As part of the initial phase of development, I submitted this
implementation to the HttpClient project, and received advice that it
could not be accepted because of Apache policy pertaining to potential
issues of IP infringement.

AIUI - this is probably covered under the interop/Microsoft patent pledge.
If it is not, asking them to make it explicitly so might not be a big issue.

That document seems to protect authors of open-source code, but not corporate
users of said code, unless I read it incorrectly.
That was the specific concern that was raised by the HttpClient team. However, the good news is that it appears there is no patent around NTLM, which is the protocol in question. It's explicitly mentioned in this document, page 9, item 14:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/0/4/1041AEF2-0ABC-4D48-A909-EC3CD52A7F13/WSPP_Patent_Mapping.pdf

What do you think?
Thanks,
Karl