I think this also underscores something we as an Incubating community should
think about in terms of process.  Obviously, it is great to give credit, but
sometimes we also need to give people a chance to contribute, too.  Even on
seemingly trivial things (I don't have anything specific in mind) sometimes it
makes sense to wait before making the change.  For instance, say someone opens
an issue, it might work to say something like "Hey, great catch.  Could you
generate a patch?  See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONNECTORS/HowToContribute for info
on how to do that."  If they do give one, then commit it promptly and give them
credit.  If not, let it sit for a few days before making the change to see if
someone else steps up.  Sure, it slows down some things, but it gives people a
chance to help out and be involved.  These smaller issues are also a great way
for us "newbie" committers to get our hands dirty with the code.

-Grant