My interpretation from the beginning is that there is a "formal" name prefixed with "Apache" that would get used external to the project to refer to the project, but then within the project we would just use the "shorthand" name, whether that means simply dropping the "Apache" or abbreviating the name with an acronym. If the project name was a short name to begin with, then abbreviation would not be needed, but if the name is too long and "clumsy", an abbreviation might be called for. "Manifold" would fit the short prescription fine, but with "ManifoldCF", the temptation to shorten it (some people, like me, are clumsy with too much shift key action) to "MCF" is somewhat... obvious. And when you lower-case the name for package names to "manifoldcf", it kind of looks weird.

-- Jack Krupansky

From: "Grant Ingersoll" <gsing...@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:58 AM
To: <connectors-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Exploring ManifoldCF ramifications

Let's not overly analyze things here. I'm not saying we need to pick Manifold CF, but if we do, we certainly can solve these writing issues by either re-writing the sentences in question (instead of search/replace) and just use MCF.

As for the Exceptions, I find an exception named ACFException meaningless to an app dev. anyway. Duh it's an ACFException, it came from ACF. You don't call an IOException a JavaException just b/c it came from Java, you give it a name that relates to the thing that went wrong, as in something went wrong doing IO. Give it a name that says what happened.