A repository connector supplies access tokens for each document.
These access tokens can be either "allow" or "deny", and are added to
an appropriate index in Solr.  An authority connector maps user name
(and domain) to the user's access tokens, which are incorporated into
the search query done to locate documents.

All of this is explained quite thoroughly in ManifoldCF in Action.

Karl