If Drupal uses its own authorization mechanism, you will indeed need
to write your own authority to support it.  It sounds like you are
basically on the right track, but there's a lot to think about while
designing connectors.  A good resource for how to do all this is
ManifoldCF in Action.  See http://www.manning.com/wright for more
details.  You'll want especially to read chapters 4,5,6,7, and 8.

Thanks,
Karl