I have not seen this exact problem before.

The "Bad envelope tag: HTML" indicates that the SOAP request the
SharePoint connector is attempting to perform is, in fact, returning
an HTML response.  This usually indicates that the server or path
parameters you've used to set up the connection are not set correctly,
and SharePoint is not actually being engaged.

But usually when that happens I don't recall a ConfigurationException
logged, unless it's what Axis does in response to the HTML.

The best thing to do at this point is turn on Http Client wire
logging, restart ManifoldCF, and view the connection.  The log will
then contain a record of the exact SOAP requests and the responses,
and we can see what's wrong.  The technique is described here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONNECTORS/Debugging+Connections

You can also confirm that the right SharePoint web services are
functioning on the machine in question by trying to access them
directly.  For the Lists web service, which is the one it sounds like
it was complaining about, try using IE (not Firefox etc because you
want NTLM support) to go to the url where you think the web service
lives.  This will be http: or https:, plus the server, plus the port,
plus the path, plus "_vti_bin/Lists.asmx".  You should see an
unequivocable SharePoint response.  For an example from the Microsoft
demo service, try http://www.wssdemo.com/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx.

Please let me know how it goes, and cc the dev list (as I have) so a
record of what you're encountering can be made available to others.

Thanks!
Karl