Hi Kalle,

> >> No, I can't do that. The associated event (or whatever is the first
> >> state) comes too late. I want to start animation immediately when
> >> connection establishment starts.
> >
> > the transition goes from IDLE -> ASSOCIATION. Why is that too late. I
> > have done this in connman-applet for some simple demo and it just worked
> > fine.
>
> When I experimented this on my laptop, it took few seconds to get the
> association state from the connect call. So from user's point of view it
> there was an annoying delay between selecting a connection and starting
> animation.

I think your UI is broken. The Connect() method will not return until
connected. So you need to process the state changes of that service
properly. Also since you already have the object path of that service
you do have the signal for the state changes.

> >> I think it's not that completed.

> >> I have to disagree here. The current interface makes it very easy to
> >> show the icon on the panel, basically you need just follow State and
> >> DefaultTechnology properties. If I need to start following service
> >> states when changing the panel icon it IMHO complicates the UI code
> >> unnecessary.
> >
> > I did mention that these *Technology properties might go away in favor
> > of technology object paths. In there we could have potentially (I am
> > still no 100% convinced) a State property that combines this and is
> > similar to what we have on a per service level.
>
> Oh, I hope you will still keep the technology properties around for a
> while (at least for our 10.10 release), because we are now relying on
> these interfaces.

They most likely stay, but in the end you get proper object path with
Technology interface.

> > The State property of the manager stays online/offline since that is
> > suppose to be used be 3rd party applications and not the main connection
> > manager UI.
>
> I just think that the application interface should be separated from the
> UI interface. The needs are different between the two.
>
> And besides, having offline/connecting/online would not be a disaster
> from application point of view. They should just ignore the connecting
> state, unless they are interested about it.

Once you are done with your UI then you will see that this is pointless
and will not make any UI simpler. Been there, done it, got a t-shirt for
it. Really look at the ConnMan history and you will see that at some
point of time we had exactly this. I thought it was a good idea in the
beginning, but it is rather pointless.

Basically if you need it, then your UI is broken.

> > Btw. there is some magic in ConnMan when it comes to default SSIDs like
> > linksys etc. We treat them individual. So they are per BSSID actually to
> > not accidentally roam with your neighbor. For everything else we expect
> > that roaming is wanted. No exceptions. If you don't want roaming then
> > name your AP accordingly.
>
> Oh, I had totally missed functionaly, which is pretty wicked IMHO. Is
> this really needed? And how user differentiate between the similar named
> networks when choosing the connection?

Mainly it is signal strength and luck. And hopefully at some point users
realize to name their access point properly and also encrypt them.

However there is no different to just allow the user to do roaming
between these vendor default SSID. You still might accidentally get your
neighbors without knowing.

Regards

Marcel