On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 16:21 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > > the following patches implement manual proxy support for connman.
> > > The last patch (5) implements a plugin for setting up the proxy
> > > settings in gconf (for legacy apps).
> >
> > In gconf for which user? Or for which user and which value of $DISPLAY,
> > since I think that matters too? I'm not sure this approach is
> > particularly viable.
>
> in Nokia's Maemo the GConf was global. They hacked it to be for all
> users. No difference between system or session level.

Ah, that explains it. I've already tried using the gconf settings in
MeeGo, and it doesn't work very well. I'd set them for the user, and
things running as root (like yum) don't pick them up.

Hence my conclusion that the best approach is to use libproxy. What we
actually want is a libproxy dæmon which fetches and loads the PAC file
*once*, then individual applications just use a libproxy plugin which
talks to that dæmon -- and don't all have to download the PAC file and
run the JS interpreter for themselves.

But a libproxy module which just gets the info from ConnMan is the first
step.

david.woodho...@intel.com                              Intel Corporation