Hi,

On 07/10/10 14:25, ext Marcel Holtmann wrote:
So I applied your patch and fixed this up for not having "auto-config"
method value.
I am a bit lost then :) (though I am fine with "auto-config" removal)
"auto-config" made sense to me in a way that was displaying the system choice and not user choice, in case of successful url provided by DHCP or WPAD. But well, ok it can be merged with "auto", no problem with that.

So:
If the DHCP server, or WPAD protocol, provides an automatic configuration URL, then this value is set to "auto" in case "auto" is configured"
                                referenced by the URL value. If "auto" is
                                configured and DHCP and WPAD auto-discover
                                methods fails then method will be "direct".

                                In case of "auto" method, the URL file has
                                to be provided. In case of "direct" no
                                additional information are provided. For
                                the "manual" method the Servers have to
                                be set.

I thought that WPAD protocol should be triggered if only the user set method "auto" without providing an URL?

Well, to sum up here are the use case:

- "auto" is set by the user with an URL: WPAD is not ran.
- "auto" is set by the user without an URL: WPAD is ran.
* if WPAD fails, method falls back to "direct" (in "Proxy", not "Proxy.Configuration")

- "manual" is set by the user with Servers and optionally Excludes parameters. * if Servers is empty: method falls back to "direct" (in both "Proxy" and "Proxy.Configuration")

- "direct" is set, nothing special. (in both "Proxy" and "Proxy.Configuration")

Now about DHCP: it might set or not an URL (in ipconfig) automatically.

So when do we decide that DHCP pac url provided has to be used? Only if user has set "auto" without an URL and if WPAD has failed?
Or does it apply, whatever the user as set as a method?

I think we just need to clarify out this policy, then we will be ok. Just a matter of small modifs in logic (when getting or setting) then.

Best regards,

Tomasz