Hi Tomasz,

> > About the idle timeout I'm not sure we'd need per-session
> > disconnections. If the app does not want or remember to inform ConnMan
> > that it's usage is over, a per-bearer idle timer does the job reasonably
> > well. If the app in question already stopped sending/receiving data, it
> > wouldn't anyway drain any transmission power. Thus ConnMan would easily
> > just count the max of idle timeouts requested by all sessions (and its
> > own view on max allowable) and use that for disconnections.
> It's also my opinion that IdleTimeout should not be per-session. It does
> not sound optimized.
>
> In Maemo, we were using IDLETIMER target on netfilter to do exactly that
> kind of job.
> See:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2010/6/15/6279376/thread
> for more informations.
> The code has been accepted upstream, so there is no reason not to use it :)
>
> So such IdleTimeout should be configurable per-bearer in Manager
> directly, or something like that.
> It's imho the way to go: per-session means quite some code running per
> each sesssion for such timeout handling, when you can have only 1
> callback waiting for sysfs notification and that's it if there is a
> timeout set.

that is all an implementation detail on how this gets mapped to the
bearer.

The point here is to aggregate the idle timeout on a per session since
that is all the application is suppose to care about. Nothing of this
means that it will executed like this.

Think about it from the application point of view. Every application has
specific needs at its Internet/Intranet usage and that is what it is
suppose to tell us here. Nothing more and nothing less. They are all
suggestions towards ConnMan, but the final decision is up to ConnMan.

I think the only question we need to ask ourselves is if IdleTimeout is
really useful as an application characteristic. Or if it might be enough
to just say StayConnected = true/false.

Regards

Marcel