Hi Patrik,

On 11/01/2011 09:50 AM, Patrik Flykt wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 16:54 +0100, Daniel Wagner wrote:
>> BTW, I have tested this and the result and without the patch not
>> network name was printet but with it it looks like this:
>
> And by writing the German umlauts in ISO 8859-15 charset you get
> question marks in the name, right?

To be honest I have really no clue on the encoding stuff. I just found a
funny website with utf-8 strings and I copied them over. I saw that when
using 'iw dev wlan1 scan' the SSID was written something like 0x1234
0x5678, IIRC. I didn't have any question marks so far.

> Do you actually need to call g_utf8_validate() at all, since the
> conversion would not need to happen if the string is already in UTF-8?

Not really, but it seems it might be faster to do so. At least I got
this impression from reading the corresponding NM code.

cheers,
daniel