Hello,

with the ConnMan 1.0 release we introduced a purely agent based handling
of passphrases. The term passphrases here applies to WEP and WPA/WPA2
pre-shared keys. ConnMan does store (and only these) by itself so they
are available when attempting to reconnect. And we do store them since
there is no point in trying to protect something that is not bound to a
user or actually extra secure. They are pre-shared keys in the first
place.

Now the question now arises on how to handle the case where the
passphrase inside an access point got changed and the next connection
attempt will fail. Currently we just request a new passphrase from the
user. However the user experience requests prefers to be able to show
the user the previous passphrase or at least a starred out version of
it. And I tend to agree with this.

The idea would be that the agent request adds an informational category
and we can provide the old passphrase value.

For a single user embedded system this seems to be perfectly reasonable
and would make the UI development a lot simpler. So I am all for it. The
question that arises is if we might need a main.conf option to disable
such behavior in a multi-user setup of for system that have a different
security policy. Reason behind is that we do not generally control who
registers as an agent. On a single user system it will be always the
same user interface, but on a multi-user system this might not be the
case.

And keep in mind this is purely about passphrases. Username/password
requests for WISPr or WiFi Enterprise or VPN credentials will be always
an user input and requested every time. ConnMan does not store these.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Marcel