Patrik Flykt patrik.flykt at linux.intel.com
On Wed Jun 13 00:36:52 PDT 2012, Patrik Flykt wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 23:15 -0700, Grant Erickson wrote:
>> In order to allow clients to update the property in a manner similar
>> to other service properties, signal changes in the service "Error"
>> property key/value pair.
>>
>> The value "none" is used when no error is asserted because D-Bus
>> property changed convention has no semantics for indicating a
>> key/value pair was removed.
>
> doc/service-api.txt documents that the Error property '...is only valid
> when the service is in the "failure" state...' Doesn't that already fix
> the problem at hand?

Patrik:

The statement in doc/service-api.txt is no more or less valid in the presence
of the proposed patch. When the service is not in the failure state, the value
of the Error property is broadcast as and set to "None" maintaining the
validity of that statement.

The advantage of this patch, when implementing a connman client, is that the
client implementation is greatly simplified--and my general impression is that
client simplification is a motivating goal of connman. The simplification is
that no special-case logic is required to watch both the service state and
error properties in tandem and manipulate the latter when the former changes
to/from "failure".

With this patch, the client can simply perform a dictionary merge/update of the
object properties when property changed notification is received.

Best,

Grant