Hi,

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 11:06 -0800, Felipe Ferreri Tonello wrote:
> But in this case, since there is no need of certificate, shouldn't
> connman be able to try to connect without it? I'm just saying it
> because
> when I try to connect to this network with an iPhone it connects
> without
> any certificate (it just ask if you want to accept a certificate) and
> with an Android it just connect without even asking to accept a
> certificate.

It is true that Android (and iPhone) asks you these questions when you
click on an 802.1x EAP network. Unfortunately they have to ask the use
up front before proceeding with the connection attempt, since the WiFi
network information from the Access Point does not contain any
information about the used EAP protocol. Thus they are as lost as
ConnMan what the EAP method of connecting to the network actually is.
Asking the user happens before anything starts connecting.

> Since there is no certificate the user expects to connect directly.
> IMO
> it's ugly to some Agent (or external program) to write a .config file
> just so connman can recognize the service.

Whether any certificates exist or not needs a user decision as much as
the EAP method itself. Thus any UI trying to connect to an 802.1x EAP
network must prompt the user, give the information to ConnMan and then
connect. The current implementation in ConnMan is such that an EAP
network needs to be described as a .config file. Maybe it's less
implementation friendly to write a file with the needed information, but
it shouldn't be a too big obstacle since the UI has already received all
the needed (known) information from the user.

Cheers,

        Patrik