On 08.12.2012 14:45, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> of /var/lib/connman/settings had no effect; connman still brought
>>> eth0 up.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the AutoConnect setting is per device and stored under
>> /var/lib/connman/ethernet_MAC_ADDR_cable/settings.
>
> Thats a fundamental breakage because

ConnMan needs a way to identify the devices or better the networks
in order to be able to store the configuration. The id doesn't have
to contain a MAC address. In fact any unique id would do. But I am
not aware of anything else which has the needed properties.

> - MAC addresses are only required to be unique *per host*

That is okay for our use cases.

> - Some protocols use locally set MAC addresses as per specification

I am completely ignorant on this. If you have some pointers
for reading up that would be really appreciated. Thanks.

> - A lot of users need to switch mac addresses at times (notably working
>    around or through broken mac filtering on commercial wireless
>    networks)

Obviously, with our current scheme to create unique id via the MAC will
not work for this use case. Currently our ids are generated via this pattern

        wifi_(MAC_ADDR)_(ENCODED_SSSID)

Leaving the MAC address away has also some drawbacks, IIRC. Can't remember
them; it is too early and even worse Monday morning :)

cheers,
daniel