On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 14:29 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> I am getting the feeling that we might really need to start setting
> all
> gateways all the time, but have different metrics attached to them.

That we probably could do, provided it'd work to some degree of "as
expected".

> One case that bugs me a little bit is the fact if we have a 3G
> connection and want to switch to WiFi, but that needs to external page
> outside the IP range of the hotspot. A dedicated application or
> browser
> for logging into that hotspot should be able to use that gateway from
> that network interface if it chooses to.
>
> How this can be done best and if routing metrics would actually work,
> do not know for sure actually. Something we might need to try.

IIRC the routing metrics are there just to order between the default
routes. I can't remember which way binding to an interface was biased,
did it anyway follow the first route out or did it obey the default
route for the interface in question. A quick test should expose it's
inner workings.

Wagi/Jukka were seen to be working on multiple routing table support for
sessions a longer time ago.

Cheers,

        Patrik