Ah, looking through the debug output from launching connmand in the
foreground, I see that it was trying to access /usr/local/var/lib/connman
rather than /var/lib/connman. Once I created the /usr/local/var/lib path,
then it populated the directory with details about the wifi connection.

Unfortunately even with this change, it still failed to reconnect upon
reboot— or at least, it fails most of the time. I get a successful
connection probably 1 out of 5 startups (either via reboot or by manually
launching the daemon).

Is there some way to make connman more persistent in trying to achieve a
connection? My perception is that it basically tries once, fails, and then
gives up for good.

In any case, is /usr/local the default for a source installation? If so,
this should definitely be clearly documented, especially when users are
encouraged to install connman from source!

Mike