On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 11:07 +0100, Tore Anderson wrote:

> If this behaviour is desired, why omit option 42? I don't get it.

Me neither.

> Catering to networks with such broken assumptions doesn't really scale,
> either. You can just as easily build a network that assumes that
> clients use the advertised DNS server (option 6) as the NTP server when
> option 42 is omitted.

Here's the leaky point where you have it wrong.

The code does not ever supply DHCP gateways as NTP servers. Or provide
any other options as something they're not for that matter.

The default gateway is added to the list as a possible NTP server in a
completely separate part of the code that has nothing whatsoever to do
with DHCP. It does that also for manually configured IP addresses, or
any other address classes for that matter.

> At least that would be in line with what the documentation says:
> «[FallbackTimeservers] are used for NTP sync when there are no
> timeserver set by the user or by the service».

The code corresponds to the documentation. The current code uses
FallbackTimeservers after all other timeservers have been tried first.

> Existing behaviour *is* broken, as it is not standards compliant, and
> makes ConnMan end up trying to use what essentially amounts to a
> random address as an NTP server. If it actually works, it's just pure
> luck. See RFC 2132 section 3.5.

Adding the default gateway as a possible NTP server outside of DHCP code
has nothing to do with RFC 2132 and does therefore not break any
standards.

HTH,

        Patrik