Sorry for a delayed reply. Somehow this email went to a different folder.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Patrik Flykt <patrik.fl...@linux.intel.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-09-24 at 15:38 -0700, Naveen Singh wrote:
> > Isn't the IPv4 or IPv6 address passed as an argument to
> > __connman_ntp_start a character array? We would still need to convert
> > this character array to the IP addresses and for that we would need to
> > know the family. Do you think there is any other way to do this
> > without using inet_pton (which requires the family knowledge). Let me
> > know.
>
> Since the string is always an address, a shortcut would be to use
> getaddrinfo() directly with hints.ai_flags = AI_NUMERICHOST. This is
> what connman_inet_check_ipaddress() does, but in start_ntp() the address
> is also needed, not only the address family.

This is what I do but in __connman_ntp_start.

> The point is that the conversion from string to addres and address
> family need to be done only when needed to make the patch smaller and
> less intrusive.

I got your point. So to keep the patch less intrusive:

1. Do not modify __connman_ntp_start instead modify ntp_start
2. In start_ntp find out family by calling getaddrinfo and use inet_pton to
store the correct IP address in timeserver_addr.

I will make the changes and provide you the patch tomorrow after testing it
on my setup.