I¹m a Finnish conservator studying at the Master¹s Programme in Conservation
at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden and I¹m planning a master's
project on desalination treatments of archaeological iron.

A part of this project would be to develop routines that would cut down
costs and make desalination treatments more accessible for all types of
conservation laboratories. In this connection I would be interested in
finding out to what extent chloride content in desalination treatment
solutions could correlate with conductivity of the solutions.

In conservation literature I have found a couple of instances (Knight 1997,
Wihr 1975) where conductivity of the treatment solution is used as an
indicator of treatment progression. It would streamline the overall process
if it was possible to follow the treatment by conductivity measurements .

However, desalination treatments in the above-mentioned cases were carried
out in pure water with no interfering ions. Modern desalination treatments
are often carried out in alkaline solutions with high concentrations of
other ions and conductivity is affected by several factors, including pH.
Also, the concentration of chlorides gets very low towards the end of a
treatment. I am wondering if their effect would still be detectable in
conductivity measurements when other ions have much higher concentrations in
comparison?

I would be very grateful for any tips to previous research where this matter
might already have been investigated, as well as for any insights on the
topic in general.

Sincerely yours,
Aleksi Pienimäki
Conservator, metal/archaeology