Helen

The voices calling out for mechanical solutions to poor environmental conditions in display cabinets are not only very challenging, but also very persistent. I have been working in microclimate control, mostly to provide appropriate humidities for museum display, for more than twenty years now, and no matter how many times I explain the difficulty and challenges of combining humidity and temperature control, inquiries for showcase cooling devices keep coming in.

It is important to bear in mind that the purpose of providing a humidity control system in a showcase is to compensate for changes in humidity brought on by temperature changes. Unless the object on display has a particularly sensitive reaction to temperature variations, temperature control is likely not needed for most artefacts on display. It is the need for stable humidities that has driven the development of products like Prosorb buffering compound, or Preservatech's microclimate generators. It is rare that temperature control is truly needed.

Passive humidity control (Prosorb, silica gel) works effectively on smaller, well sealed showcases, and prevents damage from major humidity fluctuations. Active humidity control devices are common and relatively easy to provide, requiring little power, and allow the use of existing older or less than perfectly sealed showcases.

Temperature control takes much more sophisticated machinery and control systems when compared to humidity control, but can be done. Power, noise control, ambient conditions, and other demands begin to enter the picture, as well as bespoke showcases - obviously expenses will be greater.

Until very recently, all temperature control systems for showcases were unique assemblies of machinery and control systems. My own experience goes back to the mid-nineties, and the time and effortinvolved in achieving a reliable solution were seldom the investment of my time. My partners and I have worked with all manner of devices and dispositions as we explored possible solutions. However, although a poor business investment, we continued to take on the occasional showcase cooling project, and learned with every challenge accepted. We can now offer mechanical control of both temperature and humidity for most showcases.

There are, of course, caveats. The most important being early involvement of client, showcase builder, and machinery provider. This is a complex topic, and there are many questions to be answered before a more complete estimate of your needs can be determined. Please inquire off-list and I can likely assist you.
js

--
Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Microclimate Systems     www.keepsafe.ca