Seraph also wraps around osuser, I believe.

I think that standalone should be a secondary concern (a nice to have).
I think as long as it can be backed by the same permissions data, the
web part is the "hard part" we don't want to have to reproduce and maintain.

I'd go with further investigation on Acegi. IIRC they only use Spring
utilities and the injection is clean. If that's true, we could maybe
minijar it, or provide patches to them to split it out in some way.

Thanks!

- Brett