I'd think this could be pretty trivial to add as a global default
configuration somewhere.

And it sounds like a few users want it -- one of you guys
(Richard/Julian) might want to add this as a JIRA Enhancement request
and then either write the code yourself and contribute it back or wait
until someone else feels like adding it for you. ;-)

Wayne