Hi Emmanuel,
Thank you for the help. But after configuring the JNDI also, I am
getting the below exception while the continuum is trying to send the
mail:

2008-01-25 04:33:29,203 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.ContinuumNotificationDispatcher:default
 - Error while trying to use the mail notifier.
org.codehaus.plexus.notification.NotificationException: Exception
while sending message.
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.mail.MailContinuumNotifier.sendMessage(MailContinuumNotifier.java:566)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.mail.MailContinuumNotifier.buildComplete(MailContinuumNotifier.java:387)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.mail.MailContinuumNotifier.sendNotification(MailContinuumNotifier.java:254)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.DefaultContinuumNotificationDispatcher.sendNotification(DefaultContinuumNotificationDispatcher.java:199)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.DefaultContinuumNotificationDispatcher.sendNotification(DefaultContinuumNotificationDispatcher.java:151)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.DefaultContinuumNotificationDispatcher.buildComplete(DefaultContinuumNotificationDispatcher.java:103)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.DefaultBuildController.endBuild(DefaultBuildController.java:221)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.DefaultBuildController.build(DefaultBuildController.java:175)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.BuildProjectTaskExecutor.executeTask(BuildProjectTaskExecutor.java:50)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable$1.run(ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor.java:116)
        at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:442)
        at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:176)
        at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:987)
        at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:528)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.codehaus.plexus.mailsender.MailSenderException: Error
while sending the message.
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.mailsender.javamail.AbstractJavamailMailSender.send(AbstractJavamailMailSender.java:226)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.notification.mail.MailContinuumNotifier.sendMessage(MailContinuumNotifier.java:562)
        ... 14 more
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP
host: localhost, port: 25;
  nested exception is:
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1282)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:370)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:275)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.mailsender.javamail.AbstractJavamailMailSender.send(AbstractJavamailMailSender.java:212)
        ... 15 more
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
        at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:232)
        at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:189)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1250)

I am posting my continuum.xml as well(conf/catalina/localhost/continuum.xml)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="/continuum"
           docBase="C://Program Files//Apache Software
Foundation//Tomcat 5.5//webapps//continuum.war">
<Resource name="jdbc/users" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
           username="sa"
           password=""
           driverClassName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
           url="jdbc:derby:database/users;create=true" />

<Resource name="jdbc/continuum" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
           username="sa"
           password=""
           driverClassName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
           url="jdbc:derby:database/continuum;create=true" />

<Resource  name="mail/Session"
           auth="Container"
           type="javax.mail.Session"
           mail.smtp.host="localhost"/>
</Context>

Is changing the application.xml for From names is a mandatory step?

Regards,
Hemant