Hi Rick,
        I am pretty sure that it is not "a la main".  The term Allemande has
been used as a dance figure for many centuries. Like Dosido and Swing it has
many meanings.  See https://www.regencydances.org/paper001.php.

        The current use of it to mean a simple hand turn is referenced in the
last paragraph of point 4 in that article.

        I believe that "a la main" arose from people who heard the term and had
never seen it written.

Petronella (just before the spin): You should be looking at someone's left ear.
Allemande: It's dancing, nor arm-wrestling; if your hand gets closer to you
then you lose.
For callers who use words like "Men" and "Ladies", but want to reassure people
that they can dance in either role: It's just a role, nothing to do with your
plumbing!

:-)

            Happy dancing,
                   John