Hi Emily,
When walking through the A1 of Nathaniel Jack's "A Pirate's Life for Me" I find
it helpful to explain the "Pass thru, Robin's take left hands and turn 1/4,
Larks attach on to the end of the short wave across" before naming it Pass the
Ocean.
For the Larks, the Rory O'more trade places ends with an extra twirl or slide
to have left hands point back to the center to Allemande Left with the other
Lark. I've related it to the extra twirl to face the next foursome in the
Petronella-nella figure I first encountered in Maliza's Magical Mystery Motion
by Cary Ravitz.
The balance the wave between these figures makes a good break point so they are
individual figures that the music then ties together, so explaining them as
separate elements is natural, and the subsequent execution of the dance as a
whole, with music, will gel them to the flow you want.
Maybe consider programming the rory o'more figure and/or the pass the ocean
figure in a prior dance that is otherwise glossary, so they are "familiar" by
the time you call A Pirate's Life For Me?
As for which B version, it depends on what else my program looks like. Is it
already too do-si-do or right-shoulder-round heavy? Then choose the one that
will balance it out.
YMMV, of course.
Bob
bob...@aol.com

  On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 12:21 PM, Emily Addison via Contra
Callers<contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:   Hi folks,
For those who call It's a Pirate's Life for Me, I'm wondering if you might be
able to help with a few questions?
1. I don't have language for describing the A1 very well.  I get what's
happening for sure but I think there could be little tricks to help cue dancers
in flowing through all that action. Might you might have some insight?
2. I have two B2 variations, one attributed to Lisa G and another to Seth T.
I'm wondering what B2 you enjoy calling?
ROB DSD1.5 THEN N Rshoulder round ! then onto next N
ROB Right shoulder round 1.5 /// N R Shoulderround and then onto the next (to
begin again), can also do with Als

3. Finally ... the funny question!  I remember being at a dance on
International Pirate's day.  I vaguely remember people yelling 'yarrrrs' at a
certain point during this dance.  Have you ever experienced this??? It seemed
pretty darn fun. :)
Thoughts?Thanks for any insight!:) Emily in