From: Julian Blechner via Contra Callers <contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2023 8:51 AM
To: Shared Weight Contra Callers
Subject: [Callers] Asking For Website Help and Self-Promotion Question

Hi callers,

Website help request:

As I've been ramping up my accepting gigs again post-shutdown, I'm realizing
that I've put off my "get an actual website" too long.

Any suggestions for website designers for caller pages or contra performer
pages?
I can provide photographs myself, for what that's worth.

This is one of those things where, yeah, I could trudge through it myself with
a DIY site-builder attached to a standard web host or Square, but I do UX
Design as my 40-hour-a-week job and I already have many things on my plate, and
I just really haven't found motivation to take on Another Project. So I really
just want to be able to hand someone some money and know I'll get a good
product that isn't needlessly complex.

Self-promotion perspective request:

I'm also looking for ways to appropriately do self-promotion as a caller.
I love doing series dances, and also love doing the dances for groups with lots
of new folks, too. But I also would enjoy expanding doing more special events,
and am getting more comfortable with traveling again, pandemic-wise.

There's this sort of odd condition where the A-List Well-Known Callers don't
need to advertise, but to get there, you need to either/both advertise and/or
have your summers off so you can do All The Tours and All The Summer Camps. On
top of that, New England is kind of a funny area because we have so many
weekly/monthly series dances that we don't have big dance weekends like pretty
much everywhere else in the country.

And ... I dunno, for many of us, there's an unknown of "How much self-promotion
until you become pushy / obnoxious?"

I've been calling for 11 years. Before the pandemic I was doing 30-40 gigs a
year, including some wedding/One-Night-Stand events and smattering of special
events. I've headlined at Flurry in 2018 and got positive feedback. I known
where I'm at in terms of effectively choosing and teaching dances from simple
through advanced. I solicit feedback from organizers I call dances for. And I
know that being an advocate for Larks/Robins as well as dancer-safety has been
a black mark for me in some bookers' minds.

But I still get people being like "Oh, how long have you been calling?" --- I
realize part of this is the name change from Ron to Julian, but, part of it is
definitely hesitation to like, I dunno, email organizers I don't personally
know asking about dance weekends or whatnot. Maybe there's partly the "imposter
syndrome" in there as well.

One thing I do know is that I now have no recent good video of me calling,
which I'm earmarking as part of the website project.

Perspective on self-promotion is appreciated, and perspective for anyone who
also books dances is appreciated.

In dance,
Julian Blechner
he/him