Maia et al,

I struggle with this as well. Typically I've been sharing a wee bit of
history i.e. some dances have been around since George Washington's time
and were written for Gents & Ladies. So I line up long ways and indicate
that historically one line was gents and the other ladies. Talk a wee bit
about proper dance. (Keep in mind WEE BIT, not a history lesson, a
sentence.)  Then I introduce the modern concept of gender free and indicate
the Lark line & the Robin line and that it is not a gender but a position.
Then I flow into alemande,  do-si-do,  hands 4, position in the hands four
(ones & twos), swing and where to end...now
Introduce improper and where Larks & Robins are now. If at this time people
who prefer gendered position, will naturally move to that place. Then I add
stars, right & left through, chain. Done.

This sometimes feels awkward and I struggle through it. Mostly it works,
sometime really well, sometimes not so much, sometimes I just ignore all of
it and just teach a simple dance and do teaching as walk through.

Going to a callers' gathering next (this coming weekend) Saturday and
hopefully we can talk about this there.

Love all the sharing.
Mary Collins
WNY