I've given a lot of thought to obituary dances recently, as we've had so
many...Kim, Christine, now Tony...and, well, we're a graying community
(though Christine proved you don't have to be to leave this earth).  Many
of us have danced a silent contra in memory at dance camps with a certain
caller.

I think what you do really depends on both who is in the room and who died.

For example, Kim Yerton was well known to me and I played a lot of Bear
music at Orlando dances.  Our dance started just two years ago and used
recorded music for most of its first year, until we got some sponsors.
However, nearly everyone at the dance was new and learned to dance in our
community, post-pandemic.  Only perhaps three people had ever met Kim,
including me.  When I put on a Bear tune in her memory, the main effect was
that people came to me afterward and offered condolences for my lost
friend.  Not the effect I had hoped to have.  I wanted to honor Kim, not
get sympathy.

But, a local dance angel died last year, Al Rogers.  As part of his last
wishes, he encouraged people to contribute to local dances in lieu of
flowers, and many performers did one or more gigs for free.  When someone
said they were calling for free in honor of Al, the dancers really
appreciated it, even though, again, most had never met him.  So, that made
a much bigger impression.  And, more importantly, it was a positive, happy
vibe, which is tough to achieve in a memorial situation.  And, we knew it
was what Al wanted, because he told us.

Another concern is, if a prominent local or national figure passes and gets
remembered, and then someone of perhaps lesser stature passes, you have the
possibility of offending some if they are not recognized, or even if they
are and the community response isn't as deep.

Claire already mentioned the worry of people dropping out or breaking down.

And finally, in most cases, people are at a dance for joy, an upbeat time.
If they are not feeling personally down about the death, perhaps because
they don't know the person, then being brought down or having everyone
around them brought down is not what they came for.

I don't have a single recipe, but I lean toward minimal recognition at the
mic, only of people really important to the dancers present, real
elephant-in-the-room situations.  Warn ahead, as was mentioned.  Otherwise,
a sign and flowers or a photo on a table or someplace visible but not
obtrusive should work for most, and allows people to manage their own
emotional state in their own way and not on the dance floor.  It can even
be pointed out from the mic (before the break, please, not before a dance).
It gives recognition and allows for personal grief without breaking the
happy vibe of the whole dance.

--jh--