Petronella & The Clap. I’m a dancer who grew up with Petronella and Rory O’More
as local stable in David Woodsfellow calling. (I find it funny when callers
say, “as in Petronella,” or, “as in Rory O’More,” and look around and think
there’s only one or two in the hall that have dance either.) David was our main
caller in Santa Barbara and my introduction and teacher to Contra Dancing until
David moved away and I started calling in 1985. Thus the clap has me thinking
of the evolution of folk arts. In Beth Tolman & Ralph Page’s book he introduces
Patronella as a dance where the active couple really showed off their
virtuosity by their fancy footwork. He does describe it as an only the active
couple is doing the “turn & balance.” (I’m using the now archaic labels actives
& inactives as this dance was very unequal and those were the common terms of
the time.)

By the time we were dancing Petronella it had turned into actives and inactives
joined in a square and the whole set was doing the turn & balance. And we did
spend time learning to do fancy balances from a step-swing step-swing with feet
swinging up to shoulders or fancy percussive footwork striving to impress other
dancers and getting asked to teach such footwork. Then those of us able would
spin around twice or daringly three times to have our hands join in those rings
right on the beat. It was exhilarating.’

Thus when dancers got infected with the clap virus, I watched interest in fancy
footwork disappear. Thus I didn’t like the clap: to me it was a de-evolution of
the dance. But when I told an upcoming caller that we should demonstrate good
dancing and not do the clap he replied, “But I like it!” I realized we lost
something when we gained the clap.

So, I accept it, the clap, and know it’s fun, though I still don’t clap My body
no longer lets me spin three times around and my fancy footwork isn’t as fancy
as it once was. But I still favor my “Old Ways.”

On sound: as a musician, I object and even wrote an article about one person
clapping down the hall. Since when that sound gets back to the band the time
delay getting to that person and back to the band, it is no longer with the
beat and I find that very irritating. But when the whole hall is doing the
clap, it loses that sound delay since it’s more of a “smear.”

Erik Hoffman
   Okland, CA