From: controller-dev-boun...@lists.opendaylight.org
[mailto:controller-dev-boun...@lists.opendaylight.org] On Behalf Of Abhijit
Kumbhare
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:18 AM
To: Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk>; infrautils-...@lists.opendaylight.org;
controller-dev@lists.opendaylight.org
Cc: Dayavanti Gopal Kamath <dayavanti.gopal.kam...@ericsson.com>; R Srinivasan
E <r.e.sriniva...@ericsson.com>; Casey Cain <cc...@linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [controller-dev] Expose Datastore health to applications via
infrautils.diagstatus

Just commenting on code in a mature project depending on code in non-mature
project & nothing else:

I don't think it was written in the project lifecycle rules that some code in a
mature project cannot depend on some code in incubation or a bootstrap project.
By that logic we would never be able to have the following type of new
functionality added in ODL:

  *   that some mature offset 1 or 2 projects desire
  *   the new functionality either deserves a new offset 0 project or logically
needs to go into an existing offset 0 incubation/bootstrap project
Also there is at least one instance in ODL where we have some mature projects
(NetVirt, VTN, GBP to name a few) depending on non-mature project like OpenFlow
Plugin (which is in bootstrap state).

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk<mailto:n...@hq.sk>>
wrote:
On 23/10/17 21:13, Tom Pantelis wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk<mailto:n...@hq.sk>
> <mailto:n...@hq.sk<mailto:n...@hq.sk>>> wrote:
>
>     On 23/10/17 14:37, Tom Pantelis wrote:
>     > Or we get infrautils promoted to "mature" to get around the red tape.
>     > What would that take? ...
>
>     A Graduation Review. Unfortunately
>     https://www.opendaylight.org/project-lifecycle-releases
>     <https://www.opendaylight.org/project-lifecycle-releases> disappeared
>     somewhere (Casey, do you know where?), but it includes things like:
>     - clear scope
>     - history of following the mature release cycle
>     etc.
>

> If it disappeared then how important can it be now :) ...  These rules
> and bureaucracy were put into place a while ago when ODL had a lot more
> participation. Along with Michael, I question whether it's really
> relevant anymore...

It is part of our governance and how OpenDaylight is set up. If things
are not relevant anymore, then our governance needs to change -- and
that is something the Board/TSC have to tackle *first*, we cannot just
start ignoring it.

I do not agree with this particular piece being irrelevant -- it is just
not convenient.

I think everyone knows where I stand on convenience vs. long-term
sustainability :) and that stance is held supported by many scars.

Regards,
Robert