On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:28 PM Tom Pantelis <tompante...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:36 PM Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk> wrote:
>
>> On 07/11/2018 20:36, Ajay Lele wrote:
>> >

>> > On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:58 AM Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk
>> > <mailto:n...@hq.sk>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     On 07/11/2018 02:07, Ajay Lele wrote:
>> >     > Hi Controller-devs,
>> >     >
>> >     > [0] changed EOS behavior such that a non-voting member cannot
>> become
>> >     > entity owner. But there are some situations where we want to allow
>> >     this
>> >     > e.g. when BGP speaker config is local to node and not replicated
>> in
>> >     > cluster. I think the behavior should be that non-voting member
>> >     will not
>> >     > become entity owner *provided* one or more voting candidates are
>> >     > available. Thoughts?
>> >
>> >     This is a sticky topic. Non-voting members are meant to be used for
>> >     geo-redundancy only, in which case non-voting side should be really
>> >     passive.
>> >
>> >     Can you describe the deployment scenario in more detail?
>> >

>> > One scenario is BGP route injection using application RIB. Injected
>> > route will be withdrawn when BGP connection over which it is advertised
>> > goes down. To prevent downtime window when primary to DR cutover
>> > happens, BGP connection is established from non-voting member from DR
>> > site as well. This is accomplished by moving BGP speaker data to a
>> > separate shard which is not replicated.
>>
>> I see, so this is used for planned maintenance only, right?
>>
>> If that is the case, I think it would make sense to make the selection
>> policy switchable at runtime, such that under normal operation only
>> voting members are considered, but in preparation for a switchover, the
>> policy can be adjusted. Can you file an improvement issue against
>> controller, please?
>

>> Tom: do you have an opinion on how best implement this? It feels like we
>> want to have a per-entity behavior table, so that BGP would switch to
>> non-voting, but other services would not...
>>

> yeah that seems like one solution. However why is BGP even using the EOS
> in that case to establish a connection, ie if every node is intended to
> establish its own connection then it seems you don't need EOS to decide
> that...

BTW, this is not just for planned maintenance but also for DR should the
entire primary site become unavailable. Either way I don't think changing
some setting dynamically prior to fail-over (and fail-back) is a viable
solution - it would be some permanent setting at installation/deployment
time, similar to the configuration to put the BGP data in a local,
non-replicated shard.  So perhaps there could be an additional "clustered"
setting in the BGP module that tells it whether or not to use EOS.