On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM Jamo Luhrsen <jluhr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am debugging a 3node (cluster) netvirt csit job and one of my controllers
> has a bunch of the messages like this:
>
> 2019-01-03T03:04:38,335 | INFO  |
> opendaylight-cluster-data-shard-dispatcher-21 | Shard
>       | 229
> - org.opendaylight.controller.sal-clustering-commons - 1.8.2 |
> member-3-shard-default-config (Follower): The log is not
> empty but the prevLogIndex 19047 was not found in it - lastIndex: 17875,
> snapshotIndex: -1
>
> 2019-01-03T03:04:38,335 | INFO  |
> opendaylight-cluster-data-shard-dispatcher-21 | Shard
>       | 229
> - org.opendaylight.controller.sal-clustering-commons - 1.8.2 |
> member-3-shard-default-config (Follower): Follower is
> out-of-sync so sending negative reply: AppendEntriesReply [term=23,
> success=false,
> followerId=member-3-shard-default-config, logLastIndex=17875,
> logLastTerm=4, forceInstallSnapshot=false,
> payloadVersion=9, raftVersion=3]
>
> log:
>
> https://logs.opendaylight.org/releng/vex-yul-odl-jenkins-1/netvirt-csit-3node-0cmb-1ctl-2cmp-openstack-queens-upstream-stateful-fluorine/168/odl_3/odl3_karaf.log.gz
>
> The job has lots of csit failures, so I know something is broken somewhere.
> I don't know if the above has anything to do with it or not. Maybe it's
> even expected in this scenario.

Those messages can happen if a follower gets behind the leader, especially
if it gets isolated and AppendEntries messages from the leader get backed
up and then the follower gets a bunch of messages quickly when it
reconnects to the leader. Looks like it eventually caught up to the leader
although, from the output, the distro you're testing with is missing
https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/#/c/78929/ which should speed up the
sync process in that case and alleviate most of those messages.