On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 8:56 AM Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> as it currently stands, then only projects which are using
> opendaylight-{inventory,topology}*.yang models are OpenFlow-specific
> projects (openflowplugin, genius, sfc (in sfc-genius-utils), netvirt),
> plus a soon-to-be-deprecated component in controller/netconf.
>
> These models have been deemed as deprecated a long time (3+ years) ago,
> but the effort to migrate off of them has never materialized, which has
> left us in a sorry state, where the usage of those models incurs
> deprecation warnings (all over the place) and there is no target to
> transition to.
>
> We have
>
> https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/q/+I1e3d27374ffba0e584f194d468cebcfa9cecfe81
> merged on master, which will be followed by all other branches. This
> will alleviate the deprecation pain downstream.

+1

> As for the next steps, I think we need to migrate these models to
> openflowplugin, where they can be maintained, as that world is the only
> place that really uses them.

As far as upstream OpenDaylight is concern this make sense to me, but we
need to be careful about the downstream consumer. Downstream user who just
use core ODL projects (Controller, yangtools, mdsal,aaa) to develop their
standalone application might be using these models, so this movement will
break them and to solve this they will have to put dependency on
openflowpluing, which they might not want.

> Any objections?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

Thanks