In the wise words of Trent M. Gunnarson:

> Hello all,
>
>   This is my first post but am having fun learning about firewalls from this
> forum.
>   Did you all know that Astaro Linux is building a similar web admin based
> firewall suite based on Kernel 2.4 and netfilter ? I was searching the web
> and came across it at http://www.astaro.com.  It looks to be a rather robust
> competitor.  They offer their latest version free, but are building the
> product for commercial usage.
>   I just wondered if anyone had come across it and what the opinions were in
> relation to LM firewall.

Trent,

  I'm not really the designer for this firewall, but I'd sure like to comment.

  I think the 2.4 kernel firewalling code is relatively untested within large
businesses.  I'm still worried about bugs that haven't been fixed just yet.

  I'm sure that this firewall will get 2.4 firewalling soon, as soon as it
looks more stable in-house.

     - Jay

--
Jay Beale
Security Team Director                  Lead Developer