NETWINDER

http://www.netwinder.net/3100/

Internet and e-mail at every desk
 Five stage firewall
 VPN with remote access
 Web site hosting
 Printer and file sharing
 Low power consumption - typically 14 watts
 Powerful, reliable and cool running
 x86 compatible
 Scaleable
 Affordable
 User friendly
 High bandwidth performance

it exists , its not beta anymore ... and its almost complete

pricing :

http://shop.rebel.com/configs.cfm?id=nw3100

benefit :

http://www.netwinder.net/3100/benefits.phtml

Internet Connectivity
Get your small business LAN onto the Internet. Seamlessly share a single
Internet connection using either DSL, Cable, ISDN, PPPoE, or Dial-up.

Easy Quick Start Set-up
Right out of the box, NetWinder 3100 is easy to use. The Quick Start CD
will walk you through connecting the cables and configuring the system
from your favorite web browser. The automated network discovery routine
examines your LAN and suggests appropriate network settings for the
NetWinder, and automatically configures the firewall, DNS, and other
Internet services with this information.

Five Stage Firewall
The next generation of firewall is here! Using advanced five-stage
processing (pre-routing, input, forward, output, post-routing
firewalls), our firewall protects your network from intrusion. Use our
Firewall Generator to help you secure your network, or use the Advanced
Firewall Configuration for fine control of the firewall rules.

Access Your Network from Anywhere in the World
RebelConnect, the server-to-server VPN, supports the industry standard
IPSec protocol and securely connects your branch offices. RebelRemote,
the client-to-server VPN, integrates commercially proven VPN technology.
These two types of VPN technology can be used to enable work-at-home or
branch office users to securely access the main corporate LAN, or to
allow "road warriors" the same ability. Netwinder is a small business
internet server

The NetWinder 3100 is a robust Internet server, with web, e-mail, and
FTP services available. Multiple "virtual" web and ftp sites can be run
on the system, each delivering different content.

File/Print Sharing
Share all files and resources on your network whether they are found on
Windows, Macintosh, Linux or UNIX computers. NetWinder accepts virtually
all printers.

More Power on Less Energy
The NetWinder 3100 packs real punch. With Transmeta's Crusoe Processor,
NetWinder has exceptional speed, capacity and flexibility while using
less energy (typically 14-Watts of power), and staying cool in its
clever 1 kilogram box. It also has the capacity to serve up to 450 web
page requests per second.

Three Fully Configurable High Speed Network Interfaces
Having three 100BaseT network interface ports allows you to connect your
internal and external networks, while still leaving a third high speed
network interface for other uses, such as a Network Attached Storage
(NAS) device for added file storage space, or for use as a DMZ, for
added security and configurability.

the feature are incredible ... :

http://www.netwinder.net/3100/features.phtml

Plug & Play
NetWinder is the small office server that does everything a big office
server does, except cost a lot. Best of all, NetWinder is virtually plug
and play, right out of the box.

NetWinder is installed and set up using an ordinary desktop computer and
a standard web browser such as Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
It's easy, even if you have no previous experience in network
configuration.

The NetWinder Quick Start CD walks you through the steps to installing
your NetWinder ... all the way from what questions to ask your Internet
service provider first, to configuring a desktop computer for TCP/IP and
connecting to the Internet. The NetWinder automatically reads and/or
assigns all necessary IP addresses, and comes with default
configurations that get you up and running right away.

Web Access
NetWinder allows everyone in your organization to browse both the World
Wide Web and your own company Intranet web pages. Even organizations
with dial-up connection can take advantage of this feature.

E-Mail
Stay current with clients, branch offices, business partners and
suppliers. NetWinder gives everyone in the office their own e-mail
address - and the ability to send and receive e-mail interoffice and
over the Internet.

NetWinder sends and receives e-mail using industry-standard POP3 and
IMAP4 protocols, which are the primary e-mail protocols for the
Internet. NetWinder supports all popular e-mail software, such as
Microsoft Outlook, Netscape Communicator, etc.

Whatever your Internet connection, all NetWinder's accommodate all
connections without requiring modifications or upgrades. Your NetWinder
is absolutely scalable and will grow with your organization as required.
You can start with dial-up and graduate to a T1 permanent connection
just by changing your internal settings.

Web site publishing and hosting
Use NetWinder's web server to host the company's external web site to
facilitate information sharing with clients and suppliers. Then build
your own internal web site (Intranet) to share essential company
information such as project updates, policies and procedures.

File serving & sharing
Only NetWinder delivers the office features you require to make your
work flow easier and faster. NetWinder puts you in control with
cross-platform file sharing and transfer for Mac, UNIX and Windows
systems.

NetWinder's InfoPlace is a web-based group collaboration system, which
allows you to share documents from your OfficeServer with other staff.
The result is improved communication and data management.

Indexes a wide variety of document types, such as HTML pages,
spreadsheets, word processor files, presentations, text files, images
and binary files
Sorts documents into categories and subcategories.
Searches by title, author, contents or other properties including
keyword searches.
Discussion Groups
NetWinder makes it easy to establish online company discussion groups.
These discussion groups can be public (open to all groups and users) or
private (restricted to selected groups and users). Using NetWinder's
remote access features, discussion groups can also be made accessible to
staff outside the office.

Discussion groups can be updated at any time to include or delete users,
to merge groups or to delete outdated messages.

Printer sharing
Say goodbye to printer headaches. NetWinder is a smart network print
server with built-in drivers for hundreds of models and accommodates
direct or postscript modes.

Your NetWinder includes a printer-compatible parallel port, which
accepts virtually all parallel printers. Other computers on your network
can then print to the NetWinder's printer using the UNIX lpr protocol,
Windows Network Neighborhood or Macintosh Apple Talk.

Firewall security
The term firewall comes from automobile mechanics. Cars have a firewall
to prevent fires and explosions in the engine from easily reaching the
inside of the car, where they can hurt people.

In the same way, a network firewall prevents computers on the Internet
(where virtual fires, explosions and breakdowns are common) from
reaching computers on your local network, where they can do damage.

Your NetWinder uses the advanced Linux kernel for its firewall features.
The Linux firewall is very powerful, and has a wide variety of options
that allow you to restrict outsiders from getting in or insiders from
getting out. You can limit people's access based on their computer's
address, or based on particular services (such as e-mail or the web).

Secure remote access
No more hassles for people working on the road. NetWinder makes it
possible for travelling or telecommuting staffers to log onto the
company network remotely. Depending on their access rights, staff can
retrieve e-mail and files, share documents and log onto all network
resources from outside the office.

Similarly, organizations with branch offices can connect multiple
NetWinders securely using virtual private networking via the Internet.

The NetWinder can also be administered remotely, either by your ISP or a
remote staff administrator. This means that not every office must have
on-site administration.

Administration
You can administer your NetWinder using a web browser from any computer
in the office (or off-site, if you have set up remote administration).
Adding or deleting users, assigning passwords and setting up access
groups is a simple procedure.

Any changes in configuration or network settings are done just as
easily. And NetWinder's friendly context-sensitive online help is always
there to assist.

Need information? NetWinder Office Server logs and reports all the usage
and performance statistics you will ever need. Just press a button and
know it all:

up-time, memory total/used, swap total/used, load averages
number of TCP connections, number of UDP connections, log files, web
throughput

Mandrakesoft already as the software, but they dont have the solution
ready, when it will be probably the software part will be better but the
solution will not be complete for day to day use or small business as
you will have no hardware solution ready.