On Thursday 26 April 2001 11:43, you wrote:
Okay, SQUID is running, because it shows up w/ ps and squidGuard also
authenticates me every time I fire up my test browser.  And apparently
dnsserver is running correctly also, as evidenced by:

        echo www.mandrakesoft.com | /usr/lib/squid/dnsserver

which returns the correct IP address.  So that's apparently not the problem.
This is cookfire-RC1.i586, btw, running on a AMD K-6II 500 w/ 128MB PC133
SDRAM on a Soyo SY-5SSM/5 Super 7 MicroATX mainboard w/ 1MB L2 Cache,
dual-homed w/ 2 Netgear FA-310TX 10/100 NICs.  All URLs fail w/ the eroor "No
DNS records", but nslookup from this machine runs fine, along w/ squid's
builtin dnsserver.  All entries in /etc/resolv.conf are okay, w/ no blank
lines, and even entering the DNS server IPs manually into the
/usr/share/naat/templates/etc/squid/squid.conf file doesn't fix things.  I
get the same problem whether I'm running caching-nameserver or not.  And I've
tried transparent proxy, manual proxy, and manual proxy w/ user
authentication, all to no avail.  I just downloaded the .src.rpm and tried to
install it, but I'm told I need patch, so I'll try to find the 7.2 version
and install it that way to see what happens.  Could I try upgrading squid to
version 2.3.STABLE4-5mdk w/ --nodeps and see if that fixes it?  That seems to
be the predominant solution on the squid archived bug reports section.
Again, any assistance would be appreciated, and thanks for all those who have
offered input up to this point.

--
Art Mason
Technology Coordinator