Another mailling list problem ?...

Hi folks,

I just released Prelude 0.3 which is available for download at :
http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~yoann/projects/prelude/download/prelude-0.3.tar.gz

Prelude is a Network Intrusion Detection system.
It is composed of the Prelude and Prelude Report programs.
The first is for packet capture and data analysis, the second, for
reporting attacks in a user readable form.
Other important and current features of Prelude are an IP defragmentation
stack and detection plugins with persistant state.
See below for more details.

Credits for this release :

- Jeremie Brebec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
- Mathieu Toussaint <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
- Laurent Oudot  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

for adding OpenSSL support to Prelude / Prelude report.

- Odile Darmet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

for helping me with HTML output (htmlmod),
and for being patient with me while I was doing computing late at night. :)

Future Prelude release will include a signature engine
which is able to read Snort ruleset (currently in development
but not mature enough to make it in this release) which is developed
by Jeremie Brebec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

This engine is way faster than the Snort one for matching packet,
we do about 20 test compared to 200 - 250 with Snort in order to
discard the same packet.

(It would be very hard to write this using a O notation because
 of the design difference between Prelude and Snort signature
 engine).

The engine also behave differently when a signature is matched :

- Snort :      Don't try to match other signatures.
- Prelude :    Try all signatures (this is optimised as
               signatures are sorted in a binary tree).

We believe that the way Prelude behave is more reliable,
as it prevents an attacker from hiding a serious attack just by
making the packet match a signature located before and which
isn't harmful.

***

The following feature have been integrated
(note that I probably forgot some) :

* On demand SSL authentication / encryption
  between Prelude client and the Report Server.

* Html reporting plugin.

* Prelude Report Server optimisation,
  try to not duplicate operation between report plugins.

* Prelude Report now use getopt_long.

* Prelude Backup interface was completly reworked, and now work.
  * Use sendfile under Linux, after recovering the connection,
    to send the report.

* Possibility to keep the private Prelude / Prelude Report
  key unencrypted, to avoid to enter a password each time
  you start one of them. (especially bothering when they are
  automatically started at boot).

* Negotiation between client and server for usage of :
  - XDR.
  - SSL.

* Prelude can now compile without SSL/XDR.

* Prelude *should* now compile on BSD / Solaris.

* Redesigned the Plugin Option interface.

* All plugin now at least have enable / disable option
  and can be configured throught the config file.

* Use writev() when possible when writing data to Prelude Report,
  this avoid multiple write() call.

* Use poll() instead of select() in several place, to avoid the
  set gestion overhead.

*** Bugfix ***

* Set SO_REUSEADDR option on inet socket
  (avoid address already in use error).

* Prelude Report now test if the UNIX socket exist and *is*
  connected to know if it should start a new server or simply
  exit. (This was preventing Prelude Report to start after it
  got killed).

* Ip defragmentation stack wasn't working in stock 0.2 release.

* A possible configuration engine segfault.

* Asynchronous thread should *not* call the EPIPE handler itself.
  - This was making connection recovering impossible.

* Bug that prevented to detect the interface layer to use.
  (Couldn't work for other thing than EN10MB).

* And a lot of other bugfix.

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere | Repartee is something we think of twenty-four hours too
MandrakeSoft         | late.   -- Mark Twain

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere | Start the day with a smile.  After that you can be your
MandrakeSoft         | nasty old self again.