>> Has anyone made a 486 build of the latest beta release?  If so, where
might
>> I be able to download it from?
>
> Hi there,
>
> the kernel in the SNF Mandrake Firewall is not compiled with the
> math-coprocessor emulation.
> You will not be therefore be able to use it for 486 Sx and 386es.
> Also, all the packages were compiled for i586 computers.
>
> We may add this in the future.

I find this extremely frustrating.  At last I thought I
would be able to put a current, stable copy of a Mandrake
product on my 486 laptop, and now it appears as though my
hopes have been shot down, yet again.

I have asked repeatedly that *at least* the installer
should be designed to run on i486 and above processors,
so that those of us with the capability to compile our
own RPMs can do that, and use the stock installer to
perform installations.

I find it really hard to believe I'm the only one
interested in an i486 (or even i386, if that's your box)
compatible version.

I also thought that the original intention of the
Mandrake Firewall distro was to run on any box, regardless
of CPU.  Now you're saying, "We may add this in the
future."  What's up with that?

Most of the systems I have are Pentiums, but I have a 486
laptop that's been waiting for Mandrake for quite some
time.  And don't go saying, "there's a 7.0-486!"  The
pcmcia.img on it is broken, so I can't perform an
install.

This is really getting annoying guys.. I feel like I'm
getting the Redmond Runaround.

Don Head
SAIR LCA, CIW-P, i-Net+, Network+, A+

Systems Administrator      [ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Web Designer                            [ 1 314 650-4056 ]
[ AIM - Don Wave ] [ ICQ - 18804935 ] [ Yahoo - Don_Wave ]