Hi,

  After finally getting the chance to use some of the applications, I have a
few things to mention:

1) Apache doesn't work when the mod_ssl module is installed. I didn't find
any error messages to help find out what is causing the problem, but as soon
as mod_ssl is removed Apache can be accessed normally after restarting.

apache 1.3.19-3mdk
mod_ssl 2.8.2-5mdk

2) I haven't been able to get Mac-on-Linux working even after several clean
installations: mol-0.9.58-1mdk

  I'm using the standard Mandrake kernel; this is the error message:

[root@localhost phil]# startmol
  Mac-on-Linux 0.9.58 <www.maconlinux.org>
  (C) 1997-2001 Samuel Rydh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Certain kernel symbols are missing. Trying to find a valid System.map file
Examining '/var/tmp/System.map-2.2.19-14mdk'
**** Symbol file matches ****
Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
        /usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.4-pre8
        while this kernel is version 2.2.19-14mdk
/usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o: unresolved symbol __save_flags_ptr
/usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o: unresolved symbol rwsem_wake
/usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o: unresolved symbol __vmalloc
/usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o: unresolved symbol __restore_flags
/usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o: unresolved symbol rwsem_down_read_failed
/usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o: unresolved symbol get_zeroed_page
  Failed to load the module - look for updates at <http://www.maconlinux.org>
   If there are no updates, please send a bug report to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

3) Disk access speeds have been extremely slow on both a PowerBook and an
iMac; they both show hdparm readings of a little higher than 1 MB/s. I think
it's the reason why both machines act very "jerky" while doing anything
immediately after a new installation. Here's the test on a PowerBook:

[root@localhost phil]# hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 51.86 seconds =  1.23 MB/sec

  I tried various settings from
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html?page=2 and
found one that made a great improvement without locking up the machine:

[root@localhost phil]# hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 3
 HDIO_SET_32BIT failed: Invalid argument
 setting multcount to 16
 setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 setting xfermode to 66 (UltraDMA mode2)
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

[root@localhost phil]# hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.01 seconds = 15.96 MB/sec
[root@localhost phil]#

4) Sound wasn't working after a new installation even though "dmasound"
appeared in the "Summary" window:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/temp/images/ppcInstall28.png

After manually loading the module, sound works OK on a PowerBook Pismo.

5) I noticed there isn't a Mandrake package for netatalk. It thought it might
be nice to offer that one.

  Please let me know if you need any more details. Thanks.

BTW- I posted some screenshots of the 8.0 PPC desktop if anyone is
interested.
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/Install/pages/install32.html

Bye,
--