Here's another tidbit:

Q: Will Linux/PPC work on my PowerMac with a G3 processor upgrade card?

Yes, if your PowerMac already can run Linux/PPC, it will work fine with a G3 upgrade card, with full support for the cache.

That's from the FAQ at the following link:

http://old.linuxppc.org/faq/

So, basically - you should be all right.  From the previous message, apparently the UMAX Pulsar has Open Firmware support, which is what you need to be able to do all this Linux stuff ;-).

Have you tried grabbing the Mandrake/PPC ISOs and installing?  Is this a machine that you need for work or is this something you can play around with?

-Brice

Brian Durant wrote:
Hi,

I am a Linux newbie. I am looking for a Linux flavor that works with a UMAX
Pulsar with a G3 upgrade and a Matrox graphics card. I am hoping that
Mandrake PPC will become the flavor that I want. Any chance of getting in at
the ground level and making sure that I my machine is included?

Cheers,

Brian