You'll also need SCSI support setup, as it emulates a SCSI device.  Here's
a link to a piece I wrote on a CDDR-31 I setup a while back:

http://www.imaclinux.net/php/imaclinux_g_h.php3?single=47+index=0

Is this your own kernel or a Mandrake one?  You may have to coax some
modules to load.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/