I recently tried (again) to upgrade my XFree86-4.0.3 to 4.1 using Stew's kindly provided packages.  There are two gotcha's that I noticed -

(1) You won't get into X at all w/ a Rage 128 PR, because the r128 driver does not recognize this card - you need to masquerade it as a different (but very similar) card to get it to detect your device.  Insert the line:

ChipID      0x5046

in the section labeled "Device" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config and the same config from 4.0.3 should now work in 4.1

(2) Apparently 4.1 doesn't support the XkbModel "macintosh" - maybe this has been phased out.  In any case, what you need to do in this case to have a usable keyboard is run the following as root (I'd recommend putting it in a startup script - /etc/rc.d/rc.local works for me :)

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes

and change the line:

Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"

Option "XkbModel" "pc101"

in the "InputDevice" section of your XF86Config file.

I believe this is all I needed to do to get things cooking.

HTH :)
Brice