Thanks Guillaume,

OK, adapting for the presence of the "holes" was the only thing I changed
recently in the partioning, previous changes were for "OldWorld" machines
where the bootstrap is not appropriate.  The beta has none of these, so
the issue seems independant of them.

Can you list the partition table?

If you have the latest from the mirror, partition_table.pm should have
some code like this:

        $hd->{primary}{normal} = [sort { $a->{start} <=> $b->{start} }
@{$hd->{primary}{normal}} ];

        foreach (@{$hd->{primary}{normal}}) {
            if ($_->{start} > $start) {
                log::l("PPC: found a hole on $hd->{prefix} before
$_->{start}, skipping device...");

                $i++;
            }
            $_->{device} = $hd->{prefix} . $i++;
            $start = $_->{start} + $_->{size};
        }
    } else {

But it sounds unrelated to your problem.  When you made the subsequent
attempt, did you clear the partitions?  Perhaps the written partition
table is not "taking" and a reboot is required after writing the partition
table.  The code is supposed to account for this and tell you to reboot.

Thx,

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=